Yoga has many facets and lessons one of which is acclimating to seasons. This summer, stay fit, cool, hydrated and healthy with some of my suggestions below. Have fun and be safe living your best life! I know for sure I am!!
My tips for keeping it light and simple this summer!
- Eat "cooling" foods. Summer is the perfect season to favor a raw diet. Leafy greens, sweet, juicy fruits, coconut, cucumber, cantaloupe, and watermelon are great choices. It’s always best is to browse the local markets and pick whatever is in season. Garnish salads and other dishes with cooling cilantro, parsley, and alfalfa sprouts. Lemon and citrus make great dressings and lower calories - I have consumed less hot drinks, spicy food, alcohol, and caffeine resulting in weight loss and less anxiety!
- Stay Hydrated. Drink, drink , drink loads of water, 8 16-oz cups of water per day. You can add an extra pinch of salt in your food in the summer to compensate for sweating and to prevent fatigue.
- Move with ease and purpose. It’s best to avoid exercising during the hottest (pitta) part of the day, which is said to be between Noon and 2 PM. Avoid intense, strenuous physical activity practice at no more than 80% of your capacity. Favor peaceful and relaxing walks in nature, swimming and more gentle yoga to high-intensity cardio. How about focusing more on your meditative activities than working up a sweat?
- Practice cooling breathing. When you feel overheated either in your body or emotionally, practicing cooling pranayamas (conscious breathing) can be incredibly helpful. Right-nostril and left-nostril breathing will calm the mind and reduce excess systemic heat.
- Spritz liberally with Rose water or plain water, cooling for the mind, the body and emotions; and with a great subtle scent makes for a perfume in the summer.
Have fun and stay cool! Namaste.